If you’re a nurse, the stethoscope is an integral part of your daily routine. You need a high-quality model that works well and is comfortable to use so you can concentrate on checking your patients. There are many different models on the market, so we’ve done the research to find out which ones are the best. Here are our picks for the seven best stethoscopes for nurses.
Do Nurses Need Stethoscopes?
Nurses need stethoscopes just like doctors. Indeed, they are not supposed to diagnose things. But they often use stethoscopes to check a patient’s blood pressure. They might also use it to check if a patient is breathing. Even though there are other ways of checking these things, stethoscopes are still very much used by medical staff such as nurses. Checking the patient’s blood pressure is not easy without a stethoscope. So in my opinion, yes nurses need stethoscopes.
The 7 Best Stethoscopes for Nurses
Since there are various kinds of “stethoscopes for nurses” available on the market today, selecting the best one for your use can seem to be a challenging task. For your convenience, we have listed the 7 best stethoscopes for nurses that are the most popular models currently being used.
#1. 3M Littmann Lightweight II S.E Stethoscope
As the name suggests 3M Littmann Lightweight II S.E is known for its lightweight and so is most suitable for the practitioners who have to wear them throughout the day. Thus Littmann Lightweight is the best stethoscope for nurses and even it is the best stethoscope for medical students.
- By just altering the pressure the tunable diaphragm clear acoustic response with both high and low frequency is obtained.
- The dual-sided chest piece with a comfy teardrop shape.
- Ample tubing of 28 inches has increased its popularity amongst medical practitioners.
- It is fitted with ergonomically ear tips sealed with soft material.
Due to its long tube, the stethoscope keeps the professionals away from patients having the potential to spread the disease and so the model is pretty common among nurses and even among medical students.
To sum up all its attractive features, you don’t have to worry about your budget, as it is cheaper than the other Littmann model of stethoscopes.
#2. 3M Littmann Cardiology III Stethoscope
The 3M Littmann Cardiology III is an adaptable version as it comes with two tunable diaphragms so that it can be used for both pediatric and adult patients. It is a superior quality instrument that also proves to be the best stethoscope for nurses with hard of hearing.
- Dual side chest piece to hear both low and high frequency sounds without turning the chest piece every time.
- Its dual lumen helps in reducing the nuisance caused when the tubes rub against each other.
- With its versatility, clear acoustics and comfortable structure Cardiology III by Littmann beats its competition.
- Anatomical headsets and a non-chill bell
- Suitable for both adult and pediatric use
3M Littmann Cardiology III is available in many colors like grey, black, brown, purple, and chocolate unlike 3M Littmann lightweight II S.E. And since it comes with Littmann assurance, it is sure that it is the best stethoscope for Nurses and EMTs or paramedics, and that their invested money is not wasted.
#3. 3M Littmann Classic III S.E Stethoscope
As compared to Littmann Cardiology III, the Littmann Classic II is not that pricey but that doesn’t mean the features of the instrument are compromised. It is one of the Best Stethoscopes for Nursing students.
Though some professionals might feel that the model is a bit heavier and you might feel uncomfortable, its other features will definitely prove to relax and comfort your patients.
- So let’s have a look at its features:
- Two-sided, stainless steel chest piece and tunable diaphragms
- The pediatric side of the chest piece is convertible to an open bell.
- The comfortable fit of the earpiece
- The non-chill rim of the chest piece and latex-free tubing
- Great acoustic sensitivity
With the great longevity of the tube as it prevents the alcohol and skin oil from staining the stethoscope is best for nurses. You can get this piece in unique colors like navy blue, chocolate, raspberry, and black comforting both user and patient.
#4. Omron Sprague Rappaport Stethoscope
Another name in the series of Best Stethoscope For Nurses is Omron Sprague Rappaport. Omron Sprague Rappaport is the stethoscope that you should opt for if you do not want to spend a lot of money on the instrument as it is the cheapest option on the market.
In addition to that, it provides you with a decent quality of its basic features which is the best stethoscope for nursing students.
- Two sized diaphragms- one for children while the other for adults
- Latex-free tubing
- Two different ear tips for a perfect fit
- Chrome-plated chest piece gives it a nice touch
- Available in multiple sizes with a vinyl storage case
Omron Sprague Rappaport is the best stethoscope for medical professionals as they have to spend a lot of money on their tuition fees and expensive books thus by owning this stethoscope they can save their money on these instruments. Also, colors like dark blue, blue, black, and dark green are available making the deal more attractive.
#5. 3M Littmann Master Classic II Stethoscope
The next on our list of best stethoscopes for nurses is an award-winning stethoscope with an ergonomic design available in different colors.
It is the best stethoscope for medical students and nurses as it gives a smooth start to their careers by providing fine patient care. Used to listen and detect the lung, heart, and other sounds of the body and make assessments accordingly, the Master Classic II stethoscope comes with the given classic features:
- Responding to the pressure change the tunable diaphragms capture both high and low frequency
- Great acoustic sensitivity, comfy design provide both the practitioner and patient satisfaction
- User friendly for allergy-sensitive practitioners due to latex-free tubing
- Patient comfort is established with a non-chill rim of the diaphragm
- Anatomical headset with outstanding diagnostic performance
The Master Classic II stethoscope is another classic model by Littmann available in blue, black, and pine green colors among others. And due to the high-quality assurance of the Littmann brand, it holds a place in our list of best stethoscopes for nurses and making it even one of the best stethoscopes for EMTs.
#6. 3M Littmann Classic II Stethoscope
The 3M Littmann Classic II S.E Stethoscope is the best stethoscope for doctors and nurses as the high quality of this instrument matches its price.
It is suitable more for doctors like cardiologists who require high quality of sound for the assessment of their patients. This piece offers a lot more advantages over others and one can definitely go for this one if budget is not a barrier.
- Patented tunable diaphragm with large surface area improving the sound quality
- Perfectly designed headset
- Discomfort is highly reduced with the usage of latex-free material
- The non-chill rim of the diaphragm comforts the patients
- Ample tubing allows the user to maintain a distance from their potentially active patients.
You can even get the 3M Littmann Classic II S.E Stethoscope in variable colors like pearl pink, purple, black, and Caribbean blue, so now you can match your stethoscope with your scrubs easily. We can say that it is the best stethoscope for doctors and Nurses.
#7. Primacare DS-9290-BK Classic Stethoscope
It has the best Steth when you are considering something different from Littmann and an extremely cheaper rate. One of the Best Stethoscopes for Nurses, it performs all the basic tasks of listening to the sound of the heart and lungs.
One cannot expect the equipment to outperform other models, but at the rate, it is available it is actually a very decent deal.
- It is the cheapest
- The tubes are thicker preventing the surrounding noise
- The alteration of a signal is also prevented
- Assembling is easy and time-efficient
The stethoscope is cheap it doesn’t lack quality and so if you are looking for something which doesn’t harm your pocket then watch out for this product.
Things to consider before buying a stethoscope for a nurse
These are the things you need to consider before buying a stethoscope for a nurse or yourself:
First and foremost, you should consider the quality of the stethoscope. You want to make sure that your stethoscope is going to last a long time and provide good sound quality. If you purchase a cheap stethoscope, you may not be able to hear heart murmurs or other indications of illness.
The first is your budget. You will find that there is a wide range of stethoscopes on the market, and they can range from $30 to over $1000. Deciding how much you want to spend on your stethoscope will narrow your search options and allow you to look at models that are within your budget.
You want to make sure that the device has noise-canceling capabilities. Nurses are often working in loud environments, and having a stethoscope that can cut through the chatter and the din is essential to getting a clear reading.
The comfort level of the stethoscope is an important factor to consider. You want to make sure that the stethoscope is not too heavy and is comfortable to wear around the neck all day long.
A nurse is going to be carrying their stethoscope around all day long, so you will want to get one that is lightweight and easy to carry.
Depending on your personality and style, you may want to choose a stethoscope that has special colors or designs on it.
Choosing the right, effective and reliable stethoscope can be fun, but at the same time, you must know its features. We give you the seven best stethoscopes for nurses that you can look out for.
So study the features and choose the scope that is suitable to both your pocket and working conditions. And just go and grab your shiny piece of the instrument right now.